Saturday, February 13, 2010

Olympic!


The 2010 Olympic games seem like a fitting excuse to return to the blog, particularly as I'm participating in both the Ravelympics and the Knitting Olympics. I'm not totally bonkers, though; I'm doing the same project for both of them - Wisteria, by Kate Gilbert.

My lack of TV made it impossible to watch the opening ceremony live, from home (why does NBC require you to have cable to watch their live online video? Isn't the whole point of its being online so that people without TV's can watch it?). But the footage from the ceremony is available this morning, so I'm enjoying my tea, working on Wisteria, and watching the parade of nations. Thoughts:
  • Andorra - early contenders for best knitwear. I love the sweaters and caps!
  • Azerbaijan - what's with the paisley pants? Those are intense.
  • Czech Republic - pants almost as awesome as Azerbaijan's, but with matching jackets!
  • Georgia - keeping it classy and respectful under tough conditions.
  • Germany - reminding me of nothing so much as Easter eggs.
  • Kazakhstan - I think the whole delegation should have dressed like the flag bearer.
  • Monaco - rocking the argyle sweaters.
  • Mongolia - I like the traditional dress of the flag bearer.
  • Russia - nice jackets, distinct but not overwhelming.
  • Sweden - some nice, flag-matching, crochet caps.
  • United States - I can't tell if those are moose or deer on the caps, but either way, I like it. Also, I noticed later, they've got really nice cabled sweaters.
From what I could find to watch, Canada seemed more intent on hosting a celebration than on impressing the world. Except for the glitch with the torch lighting, I thought it was a nice ceremony.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm reminded of a line from the movie "Hook". Remember when Robin's character meets the lost boys, and no one believes he's Peter, until an adorable little boy comes up, squishes his face and declares, "Oh, there you are Peter."

Oh, there you are! I've missed reading your blogging.

Unknown said...

I hope all has been well with you during your time away from the blog.

Didn't Shaun White look great in his Aran sweater?!

Elk? Caribou? Moose? Dr. Seuss ungulates?