Monday, January 29, 2007

What you can do with cable needles

Well, obviously, you can cable with them. They can also come in handy for doing twisted stitches, especially if you're paranoid about dropping stitches. But at the moment, mine are holding my hair up:

I know I'm not the first person to use knitting needles to hold up hair, so I can hardly be the first to use two cable needles for the purpose. I was sitting at me desk knitting and wishing I had a clip handy to pull my hair up with. Then I saw the cable needles and thought, "hmm, those look sort of like giant bobby pins, I bet they'll do." And the result? So much better for the job than straights. (BTW, do you have any idea how difficult it is to photograph the back of your own head?)

On to the actual knitting. I didn't have a productive weekend, at least not the way muggles measure productivity. I didn't clean my apartment or do laundry, I didn't work out, and I didn't run errands. What I did do was knit, watch Cary Grant movies, knit, and listen to audiobooks. For all the time I spent knitting, though, I don't feel like I got a whole lot done.


The weekend production consists of approximately 3-4 inches of purple washcloth, 1.3 baby socks, and 3 inches of a Bayerische sock. I'm particularly liking the Bayerische sock - the twisted stitches are a lot of fun to knit, and I really like the patterns. Unfortunately, it's the baby socks that have a deadline... I figure I need to knit half a baby sock a day to meet my goal of having three pairs to give at the shower. We'll see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you need a class in speed knitting. But I think you could give lessons on photographing the back of one's head. I like the purple washcloth. It's a beautiful color, for purple, anyway.