Saturday, March 10, 2007

Not "other work"

This week was my first week of classes. In the first two days, the instructors must have told us a dozen times that we aren't to do "other work" during lecture. Fortunately, it turns out that knitting doesn't count as "other work." I've knit in every class except the first one (the amount of knitting is inversely proportional to the amount of note-taking required), and I was a little worried that it would bother the instructors. I do sit in the first row, and I'm not exactly clandestine about my knitting. On Friday, though, the head of the school (who often sits in on our classes) told me that the concurrence among the instructors is that "knitting doesn't count as doing other work."

Thursday evening I finished the second grey sleeve while reading for class, so I had to come up with something else to knit in class. I needed something small, chart-free, and simple, so that I could do most of the knitting without actually needing to look at it. The solution?

A scarf to match the Cable Mittenettes!

The cables are simple, so no chart is required, and there's only cabling every fourth row, so I mostly don't have to look at it. Also, I don't use a cable needle, so that helps minimize the conspicuousness of knitting in the front row.

You'll be happy to know that the grey Lopi sweater hasn't been neglected just because it isn't my class knitting any more. I attached the arms to the body and knit several rows of the yoke. The yoke puckers a little bit, I think because the floats are so long. It isn't bad, though, and I think it will block out nicely.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear that knitting isn't "other work." I wonder what they'd say about weaving in ends.

I really like the blue and the grey Lopi. Very attractive.